Friday, August 31, 2007

Rockin' Good Morning

Last night, I tried to teach Devin a new word. I thought it would be nice if he could tell people in advance that sometimes, he can be a little exasperating. Instead, he thinks he can be a little exacerbating sometimes. I'm afraid that will only, in fact, exacerbate his situation.

What precipitated my attempt to teach him a big word was his insistence that it was not bed time. He asked, "is it bed time?" and I said, "Yes, it is bedtime." He said, "No, it's not." I said, "Yes, it is bedtime. See how it's dark outside." Again, he insisted that it was in fact and indeed NOT bedtime. That's about the time that I tried to teach him to say exasperating. It was a nice little tiny brief diversion, and then the conversation returned to how it wasn't bedtime.

Then, he melted down, poor little tyke. He hadn't expected bedtime to come right after bathtime. He just wanted to go downstairs and sit with me! He wouldn't just sit with me upstairs. He couldn't. His body was as stiff as a board!

The Computer Guy (I've decided on this nickname for Daddy) took him from me and worked some magic on him, and in no time (and by no time, I mean about 45 minutes and three separate trips by a parent upstairs to put him back in bed) my little exasperated child was asleep.

After his really good night's sleep, only like 10% of which was spent in our bed, he woke up rested and annoyed. I gave him a waffle, which he didn't eat, and grapes, which he played with, because they are all rolly, and ate. The grapes perked him up. I tried to give Trevor grapes. He only wanted two because he was afraid they would give him diarrhea. Too many grapes will give Devin diarrhea, and I guess that Trevor has been paying attention. I convinced him a handful wouldn't hurt, and he ate everything I gave him. He also offered me part of what I gave him, and that was really nice, and I do adore Trevor.

After the grapes perked up Devin, he started to sing me a song. It's a new twist on an old favorite. The new words go a little like this:
Don't let my mommy let me down!

I don't know. Maybe trying to teach him "exasperating" wasn't the best idea...

No comments: