Sunday, February 04, 2007

Kids say the darndest things, II

Trevor was asking questions about dying yesterday. Dying is the topic of conversation about once a week for the last 4 weeks or so. At some point in one of our conversations about death, he asked if he would die, and we answered him honestly. We told him that he would die when he was really old and already had kids, like us, grandkids, like his granma, granpa, memaw and papaw, and probably even great-grandkids, like his great-grandmas. He doesn't want to die. And, he didn't seem to be getting it that he wouldn't die until he was pretty old. So, I told him that it was my job to worry about whether he dies or not and that he doesn't have to worry about it for now. As long as he follows the rules of common sense and Mom and Dad, he is probably in no danger of dying anytime soon.

Later that day, I asked him where is dad was. He said, "Oh, I think he's dead. Let me go check."

When I was a kid, I kept a mental list of things I would never do to my kids that my parents did to me. Like, I would definitely allow my kids to eat cool whip straight of the bowl whenever they wanted. That I couldn't do this as a kid was another reason I couldn't wait to live on my own.

I wonder if answering questions about death and warning him that he could die if he breaks certain rules (like NO PLAYING IN THE ROAD) has already made the mental list of things he will never do to his children...

No comments: