Wednesday, January 17, 2007

T-T-T-Trevor

I'm pretty sure that Trevor's daycare teachers are beginning the process of teaching him to read. Lately, when he comes across a new word or just feels a little punchy, he sounds it out. He got a United States puzzle for his birthday, and tonight I found the New York tile in the middle of the toy room. I gave him the tile, and he sounded it out.

"New-New-New York."

I did help him try again. I sounded it out myself. "N-N-New York," I offered. Based on that, he knew that New York begins with the letter N. Good.

I tried a couple more. "T-T-Trevor," I said. "What does that start with?" I asked.

"T!" he answered right away.

"D-D-Devin. What does that start with?" I asked.

"D!"

He was doing great!

"M-M-Mommy. What does that start with?"

"Tuh-r..." he started to say, like he was going to say my name. Then, "Hmmm, that one is a little tricky."

"No, it's not tricky," I told him. I sounded it out again.

"M!"

He got it once he worked out that Mommy and Tricia, although the same person, are different words that start with different letters.

I guess I get how it might be a little tricky, though.

*****************************************************

Since I got a little chastised for not blogging lately from one of my two to three readers, here's a bonus story.

On the way home tonight, Trevor asked Daddy what's the difference between a house and an apartment. I don't know why, and I am curious about Trevor's curiosity. Maybe he'll explain it to me when he's 12.

Daddy explained to Trevor that one difference is that when you own your own home, you are responsible for heating it.

"Why do you have to eat your house?" Trevor inquired.

Ambient Road Noise strikes again.

I suppose.
**************************************************************
Bonus Story #2.
It snowed on Sunday, just a little bit. It snowed more on Monday. On Sunday, no less than twice, Trevor looked outside and began to wail. Why? Because the snow was melting. On the neighbor's driveway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
I do soooooo enjoy the stories that you blog.
I don't know how you can tell who is reading you blogg, I personally
know of three, besides myself that read you blogg. When you do post to the bogg.
Love Mom

Tricia Roth said...

AH, I don't know who reads it. I can't tell at all. I know that you, their aunt, and their other grandparents read it. And I only know that because you tell me. I should get John to set up a visitor counter.