Tuesday, June 22, 2010

the Lollipop Posse

We went to Oklahoma last week to visit my family, and we had the opportunity to meet the new chief of police. Or, is that the new Police Department. I'm not sure. I tell you what, I liked him.

Vikki and I had taken the kids to the school park. When I was a kid, I'd never go play at the school park. If I wanted to go to a park, I'd walk to the town park or try to figure out how to get to Williams Park in Pawhuska. Back in the day, that was a cool park. It might still be the coolest park ever. The play set is huge, and there's no plastic is sight! Now, every park I know of is the coolest park ever with monster play sets that are brightly colored. Now, since every park is cool, none of them are special. So, I bet Williams Park is retro cool. If it still has that monster play set. I'm going there next time I go to Oklahoma. There and Woolaroc. Can't stop me.

I digressed.

So, after the school park (which is cool, but not special like Williams park if they still have that awesome playset) we walked home. We were walking along the highway because that's quicker. Our cousin saw us, so I think she beeped and hung out the window flapping her arms. I might be making that last part up. After the arm flapping, she parked her car, and got out so that she could visit.

We were a large group there by the highway with 3 adults, 1 teenager and 7 kids. And, the kids kept wandering off, so we were all spread out and looked even larger than we were.

He didn't flash his lights, but the police department did drive on over to make sure everything was OK. Logan was pretty excited to see him and immediately asked for a lollipop. That confused me, but I assumed there was some history there.

The Wynona Police Department is very safety conscious, so he said that he would meet us at our house instead of distributing lollipops on the highway. That would be crazy. And, he knew where our house was. And, honestly, that's pretty commendable. He's new to the area, and he already knows where my parents live. Most of our group was from out of town, but he knew where to find us. How about that?

So, he met us at my parent's house and everyone got a lollipop. Well, everyone under the age of 13 got a lollipop. And as he was getting ready to leave, a local drove up the street on his lawn mower. It was dusk, and the lawn mower didn't have any headlights. So, the lollipop posse commented on that, and then drove himself off into the sunset. The lawn mower guy didn't get a ticket or anything. I think he was joking about that.

No comments: