Friday, May 14, 2010

Trip to the zoo

Trevor went to the zoo today. The zoo in Pittsburgh. Two and half hours away. Without me, without John, without Devin. Just Trevor and his school and some parent chaperones who signed up on time. (Not that I signed up at all...truth is, I didn't want to go).

Well, I survived it. No worries. I was a little stressed. I had thought of all the points where things could wrong, and I had an idea when I would get calls if those things did go wrong. And, the day passed without any of those calls. Let me not go into where the worst case scenario engine took me. It's dark.

Trevor survived it, too. He had a great time! Except he was thirsty. We packed water for him in his backpack, but he couldn't find it. GAH! He told us several times that we needed to pack him extra water, and we actually did. And, we put it in some nice handy pockets in his backpack, and we even made a point to show him where the water bottles were packed. He's OK, though. Not so dehydrated that you'd notice.

Here's what I'm most proud of. We sent him with money for souvenirs. And, last time he went somewhere with money for souvenirs, he had to borrow money from a teacher so he could get something for Devin. And, that was very nice of Trevor to think of Devin and nice of the teacher to loan him money. But, this time, the school was very specific that there would be no loaning and borrowing of funds. So, we gave him money for a souvenir for both him and his brother. And, he spent all of the money as it was intended. He had to use some of his dinner money to pay taxes, but that's OK because I sent a little extra dinner money. I was a little worried about the amount we sent with him, and I was certain he would lose it or spend it in vending machines. It was his allowance money, so he could do with it what he wanted. And, I was worried he would spend Devin's allowance money on vending machines, too. But, he didn't. He got Devin a cheetah (which Devin asked for specifically) and he got himself a seal. I'm very, very pleased with him.


He took Devin's camera with him, and he got some pretty neat shots. Now, Devin told me that since the pictures were taken with his camera, he gets to control who sees them. I didn't agree to that. I specifically said, "no, it doesn't work that way." But, if you get a chance, say thanks to Devin for letting him see pictures from his camera, would you?

There's this one:

I need to figure out how he got into the tiger enclosure.


He said to me, "I accidentally took a picture of elephant poop." I said, really? He said, "no, I took it on purpose to make my friends laugh." Does it make you laugh?


pretty good picture of a primate


pachyderm


okapi?


it's a horrible camera for picture taking, so I'm impressed with this one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please tell Trevor to stay out of the tigers reach. I don't want to see him all scratched up when you all come here on vacation.
MEMAW