Thursday, December 18, 2008

The sagacity of a Child

I made Macaroni and Cheese with hot dogs for the boys' dinner last night (we were going out and dropping the kids with a sitter and didn't share in this luscious meal). It's a meal I had often as a kid. And, I always loved it. More than Sauerkraut and Wieners, anyway. I asked John if his mom made him Mac and Cheese with Hot Dogs when he was a kid, and he said, "No!" and gave me that look that says, "You're crazy, woman!" He went on to explain the reason his mom never made that meal for him was because he never would have eaten it. I think he added a "disgusting" under his breath.

"Whatever." That's what I said under my breath as I dished out the boys' dinner.

A few bites in, I asked them if they liked it.

I got an enthusiastic, "YEAH!" from both of them. It probably didn't hurt that the Macaroni was shaped like characters from Scooby-Doo.

"You really like it?" I asked Devin.

"Yeah!" he said with the same aforementioned enthusiasm. Then, he added. "I may not like it when I'm all grown up, but right now, I LOVE IT!"

1 comment:

Daisy said...

I used to bring home leftover mac and cheese from the day care where I worked and add hot dogs and peas. My kiddos loved it.