Although it's the day after Christmas and I should be blogging about Christmas, I want to share what I know about Strep Throat.
1. The incubation period is 2 to 5 days.
2. If your sore throat comes on suddenly and you don't have other cold symptoms, like a runny nose, cough, etc, you may have Strep throat.
3. Strep throat is caused by a bacteria, not a virus. That means that Antibiotics will help.
4. If Strep throat is not treated, it could turn into Rheumatic Fever or some other disease that causes inflammation of the kidneys. These are both serious.
5. The symptoms of strep throat will go away on their own without treatment, but you are still at risk for the two serious diseases listed above. So, if you suspect Strep, go to the doctor.
6. My doctor told me he didn't think it was strep because I wasn't sick enough. My throat wasn't red enough, nor was it covered with white spots, and I wasn't throwing up. This is a recurring theme with me where doctors don't think I'm ill because I'm not ill enough. I almost didn't get the strep test because he had me convinced it was just a cold. So, if YOU suspect strep, request the test. I've never had rheumatic fever or an inflamed kidney, but I certainly don't want, either, ever.
Despite the strep throat which came on suddenly Sunday night, it was a merry Christmas. I'll post more on that later...