Monday, October 08, 2007

Devin

Guess who's going to be 3 in just 4 days? That's right. His name is in the subject line. It's Devin!

Let me tell you about Devin. First, I love him. He's really cute and sometimes, he's really sweet, but other times, he's the opposite of sweet, like when he hits strangers or grandparents as hard as he can in the legs.

And, his hair! It's SO blonde and since we haven't cut it lately, it's a little curly and messy.

If Trevor does it, it's got to be OK for Devin, too. But, sometimes, he fights back and just wants to do things his own way. When Trevor insists something is his, that's normally OK with Devin. But, not always. (I need to work on NOT giving in to Trevor's insistence that everything is his, myself.)

As his last cold demonstrated, he hasn't outgrown his asthma, yet. But, I think he's almost there.

He claims that he will start using the potty when he's 3. We are counting down the days. But, I don't believe him, really. Trevor is in charge of potty training Devin. I don't really remember how, and I'm not equipped for this job. I expect great things from Trevor.

He likes to sing catchy songs. His last catchy song was "Happy Valley, Happy Valley." I don't know what he knows about Happy Valley, but it made for a nice song. As soon as he started singing this song, Trevor joined right in.

He's got great comic timing.

He can count to 5 or 6 and sometimes even 10 (but not 3. He can't stop at 3. He always goes at least to 5).

He tries to make me read him two books at night, and when I give in to that, he expects me to wait while he reads the two books back to me.

When I try to give him hugs and kisses at night, he brings his knees to his chest and makes it impossible. But, when he does let me hug and kiss him, his hugs and kisses are really nice.

When he's not feeling well, he is really hard to get along with.

He drove his power wheels motorcycle all the way around the neighborhood tonight at dusk.

He laughs at inappropriate times, like when he's in trouble.

He's little for his age (which I worry about because I knew a Plant Manager once who was short and had short-man syndrome and was impossible to work with, but on the plus side, he's easy to carry around.)

If you give him a cupcake, he'll only eat the icing off the top.

His favorite drinks are apple juice and chocolate milk. He only gets apple juice when he goes to grandma and grandpa's house. So, he likes to go to Grandma and Grandpa's house. He needs to see the syrup for chocolate milk to qualify as chocolate milk.

If he gets in bed with us, he insists on sleeping in the middle, even if there's no way he's going to sleep.

So, that's Devin on the eve of his 3rd birthday. I can't believe he's only been with us for three years. It seems like I've known him forever.

No comments: