Monday, June 04, 2007

Let's talk about the future...

On the way home today, Trevor asked an intriguing question.

"Who will Devin take care of when he grows up?"

Since I was intrigued, I asked him, "Who will YOU take care of when you grow up?"

I thought he would say that he would take care of me, his old mom, because just a few minutes earlier after expressing his frustration with my taking a shortcut home, he told me that when he grew up, he would never take me on shortcuts. Since his future self was driving around my future self, I assumed it was to take me to my weekly dialysis appointments, or something along those lines. So, it's no wonder that I assumed it was me that he would be taking care of.

But that would be an incorrect assumption.

He said, "Well, I will be the first dad, and Devin will be the second dad."

"OH," I said. "Does that mean that you will take care of your wife and your children?"

He paused.

"I want to marry M."

"Me, too," Devin said quietly.

Now, let's talk about the recent past...

When I arrived to pick up Trevor from school, I realized that assuming he didn't need an extra change of clothes was yet another bad assumption. Poor kid is wearing peach colored Winnie the Pooh pants that won't stay up and a cute little shirt that belongs to someone else.

I asked him what happened, and he mumbled something about someone splashing him. His teacher was busy, so I frowned, and let it go.

Later, I mentioned to Daddy that Trevor was wearing girl's pants.

Daddy asked Trevor what happened.

Trevor said, "I think that someone must have splashed me. When I woke up from my nap, I was all wet. It was really strange."

Daddy asked, "what color was it?"

Trevor said, "well, it was blue when it was wet, but when it dried, it was black."

Well, I wasn't sure this was true or not. I picked up the bag of clothes, but didn't bother opening them. Honestly, there's never anything nice in these "goody bags."

But, when Trevor started mentioning these colors, I got curious. I retrieved the bag and opened it. Hmmmm, I thought to myself. Nothing blue here. Nothing black, either. Let me smell. Ah, well, maybe it was "strange" when Trevor woke up all wet from his nap, but it wasn't the mystery he thought it was. Not at all...

No comments: