Friday, April 13, 2007

Oklahoma Indulgences

Ever since I went to Oklahoma, I have been indulging in two things. Country music and Cappuccino. The country music because Oklahoma has a lot of country music stations and Cappuccino because Dad likes those, and I can have all I want at my work. I only want 1 a day, though. More than that, and I'm gonna be in trouble. I buy the ingredients for these things, and I know they are not good for me!

One of my new favorite songs to sing in the car with the boys is that Tim McGraw song about a singing bird:
1, 2, 3 Like a bird I sing
Because you've given me the most beautiful set of wings.
And I'm so glad you're here today
because tomorrow I might have to go and fly away.
Fly away
Fly away.

That's all I really know of the song, so that's all I really sing. And, that's all I've really taught the boys.

It certainly opens the door to a lot of Trevor questions. He wanted to know why the singer has wings. My initial interpretation of the song was that the daddy had wings because of his kids. So, that was what I told him. But, then he asked why the daddy had to fly away. This is where my interpretation really broke down, right? Because Daddy's really shouldn't go off and fly away from their babies. So, I suggested he needed to fly away to get food for his kids. My interpretation is really just not valid at all. But, Trevor bought it.

So, when sang the song, it went something like this:
1, 2, 3 Like a bird I sing
'cause you've given me the most beautiful set of wings.

And I'm really happy that you're here this week
because I have to fly away and get food for my babies
because I really love them a lot
And because they give me wings.
Fly away
Fly away.

Then, "how did you like my song, Mom? It was better than your song because it's longer, isn't it? Laugh, Mom. That was funny."

Then, Devin:
Fly away
Fly away
Fly aw-ay-ay-ay!

No comments: