Monday, February 13, 2006

Kleenex

I was off doing something today...picking up toys for the 80th time, I think. Devin wasn't right in view the whole time. I left him alone for maybe 3 minutes. When I went to check on him, I found him in front of the bathroom door downstairs. He'd gotten a box of Kleenex off the back of the toilet, and he was sitting on the floor putting tissues back in the box. He'd pulled out 20 or so when I was off picking up toys. So, he was in the process of putting them back in. I didn't realize that at the time. I just thought he was making a mess. I let him be, and I went back to picking up toys. When I was all done, I checked on Devin again. I looked in front of the bathroom where I'd last seen him.

The Kleenex box was gone, and only 2 tissues were left on the floor. Interesting. I checked in the bathroom, and there, on the back of the toilet, was the box of Kleenex. He put the tissues back in the box, and then he put the box away!

Just then, Devin came walking up. I had picked up the two tissues, and he indicated he wanted them. I gave him the tissues, and I told him to put them in the garbage. He had other ideas. He walked into the bathroom and then pointed to the tissue box. I gave him the box, and he put in the last two tissues. What a good boy.

So, this story has two morals. First, Devin is a good boy who cleans up his own messes every now and then. Second, if you're at our house, and your nose is runny, and you want a fresh Kleenex, choose a box whose tissues are not obviously stuffed back into the box by a one-year-old named Devin.

No comments: