Saturday, March 05, 2011

Tuesday Morning Normalcy

This past Tuesday morning, Trevor got up at his usual time. I think it was around 5. He gets to play Lego Star Wars uninterrupted for as long as Devin sleeps. I guess that's the thing that makes him such an early riser. Devin follows about 15 to 30 minutes later normally. I think Trevor is what makes Devin such an early riser.

About an hour and a half later, Trevor starts crying. Sometimes, his video game makes him cry. He gets frustrated at one thing or another. I'll be honest, this cry didn't sound like that, but it was early, and I assumed it was. When I got up to check on him, I was on the more frustrated end of the mommy emotion scale.

I quickly let that go when he told me that his head hurt. Aches scare me, whether they are in the head or the tummy, and my mind quickly "went there." But, knowing there wasn't much I could do in a worst case scenario, I gave him some water and some chewable acetaminophen. I thought maybe he was dehydrated.

I went back to bed, and I heard a few noises that sounded like either coughing or vomiting. Since I wasn't certain, I just stayed in bed. He told me when I got up that he thrown up the medicine. I asked if he had hit his head at school the day before. "No," he told me. "I hit it this morning when I walked down the stairs."

I started thinking concussion. Or, maybe an elaborate ploy to stay out of school. We gave him more water and told him to go lie down. He drank his water, and then threw it up.

So, John took him to the ER. They diagnosed him with a mild concussion and told us to keep an eye on him for the rest of the day.

We kept him out of school. His elaborate ploy had worked. He got to play a lot of uninterrupted Lego Star Wars. He had no more episodes of headache or throwing up. He wouldn't go out and play because he was sure it would make his head start hurting again. I thought that was an elaborate ploy to avoid going outside and playing, but the next day, he was happy his head felt good enough for him to run around outside.

He told me later that he remembered his head was like a ball. As he was coming down the stairs with his blanket, he tripped, and hit his head on the banister. And, his head bounced twice, like a ball.

He wears a helmet when his bikes, scoots, skis and sleds at least 85% of the time. His first concussion happens walking down the stairs. Go figure!

No comments: