Monday, January 04, 2010

The secret lives of my children

I don't know how we got on the topic, but one day, Trevor explained how he knew that car tires don't pop from running over rocks.

"Remember when we tried that, Devin? We threw rocks in the road and nobody's tires popped."

I think I just gave him a blank look. No bad came of this and no bad could come of this and the scientific method was involved, right? So, blank look was probably the appropriate response. Not a teachable moment there. Right?

Then on Saturday, Devin was telling me and John about their new "ride" in Trevor's room. They spread out a lot of blankets so it would be safe, see? Tell me more, I prompted. Trevor's eyes got a little shifty, and then he said he couldn't tell us anything. I think he gave Devin a "pointed" look and told us it was "Top Secret."

We promised immunity from prosecution if he just told us about it. Well, Devin reiterated the safety features of a lot of blankets, and Trevor remarked he was also safe. At first, he jumped from second rung of the bunkbed ladder and when that didn't hurt, he tried the third. Then, the fourth, and finally the fifth. As far as I know, they didn't jump off the top bunk. Just the ladder. And no one got hurt because of all those safety blankets Devin spread out on the floor.

The End.

Happy New Years!

No comments: