Friday, July 24, 2009

Laser Eyes

Last night was the annual Candy, ahem Fireman's, Parade in Pleasant Gap. I'm going to call it the Wet Candy parade of 2009. It rained for the entire 20 minutes of the extra short fireman's parade. There was only 1 baton troupe brave enough to toss their batons high into the air. I don't understand baton troupes. Chicago has Irish dancers, and Pleasant Gap has baton troupes. I don't understand either. But, I like the bouncy hair of the Irish Dancers. And, the batons. I like the batons. I guess. Ok, I don't like the batons. I'm just confused by the whole thing. Seriously! Like last year, there were 20 baton troupes. Where did they all come from??

Anyway, I did a good thing. I bought rain coats to the Candy Parade. So, my little fellas bravely stood near the road, waving at the passing firetrucks and obscured Dairy Princesses, the old Lion's Club guys, and the local 4-H. And, while a lot of parade participants kept their candy to themselves, some tossed their sugary treasures onto the wet street and lawns. And, our candy haul was not huge by last year's standards, but it was good haul nonetheless. (A good, wet haul. I think I'll throw most of it out.)

One of the neighbors took shelter on Grandma and Grandpa's porch. I didn't know her, but she had a little boy with her. If I had to guess, I would say he was Devin's age. Maybe a little younger. He seemed mightily disturbed by the rain, and any attempt to get him to move off the porch to pick up a tootsie roll resulted in panicked little screams.

I made a note of this. And, I also helped gather candy. It's not that I wanted it, or even that I wanted my kids to have it. I just didn't want it to stay on the lawn. I needed to clean up the mess. So, I picked up a few handfuls. Devin must have noticed. I returned to the porch and dropped some of that candy into the bag of the kid who found rain disturbing.

And, Devin noticed. I know he noticed because he looked at me dropping that candy (his candy) into that kid's bag. Then, he looked into his bag where he expected me to drop that candy. Then, he destroyed that poor child with his super laser eyes. Burned him up right on the front porch in the rain. Poor kid.

No comments: