Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Bruce Springsteen

For my whole life, I was never a fan of Bruce Springsteen. For my whole life, I never knew why. Then one day, I realized it was because during the ninth year of my life, Ronald Reagan used "Born in the USA" as a campaign song.

I was a bleeding heart liberal, even as a child. How can that be? Even after the Iran Hostage Crisis, which I'm pretty sure I followed with intense interest every night on the national news, if I could have voted, I would have voted for Jimmy Carter.

In hindsight, I scoff at the liberal bleeding heart that I was in 1980. Because Ronald Reagan was the right president at the right time. His policies ended the cold war that imprinted my childhood with fear. Jimmy Carter wouldn't have done that. In hindsight, Ronald Reagan is my hero. And, Bruce Springsteen rocks, but seriously, Ronald Reagan shouldn't have used that song in his campaign without listening to it first.

No comments: