Wednesday, May 17, 2006

My young 'uns.

Ever since we got back from Walt Disney World, Devin's wonderful sleeping patterns have disappeared. Now that he knows the word, "no", telling him it's bedtime results in a string of no's. "No, no, no, no, no, no." Just like that.

The first time he woke up in the middle of the night once the bad sleeping pattern emerged, he told me "momil." If you remember, that's his way of saying, "can I have a drink?" At that point, I got him a little sippy cup of water. The next time his bad sleeping patterns caused him to wake up, he told me "momil" again. So, I handed him his sippy cup again. Now, in the middle of the night when he asks for his sippy cup, I give it to him, and he won't give it up. He holds it close like his favorite stuffed toy. But, he doesn't have a favorite stuffed toy. He's just got that sippy cup he really loves.

Now, Trevor has all sorts of fears. At first, it was cute. It's still sorta cute, I suppose.

A week or two ago, rather than moving all the scary toys out of his room, I covered his bed in quilts. I gave it a roof and a front wall. This worked for awhile. He's still sleeping in his bed house, but the novelty has worn off. Now, he tells me that he doesn't want his room to be downstairs. So, tonight, he helped me lock the doors. Then, we checked underneath the bed, in the closet, under the desk, and in the corners of the room with a flashlight. I gave him the flashlight to sleep with. He seems ok now. It's a new novelty. I think it's going to be OK. But, I'm looking forward to the time when his fear goes away. The other thing he's been doing is closing all the doors all the time. He closes bathroom doors, his bedroom door, the mudroom door, and, when he's desperate, he'll go all the way upstairs to close our bedroom and closet door. But, the closet door...he only closes that when he's feeling very brave. That's where we keep the Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls. They have scary, bloody eyebrows.

No comments: