Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Trevor's tummy

This is a letter to the future Trevor:

One day in a store, you told me that you wanted some snacks, but then you mentioned your tummy would get big if you ate too many, and we didn't get those snacks. I thought you probably got this idea in daycare. I decided I would use this idea to help you understand why sometimes, it's not good to eat two cookies, or 4 pieces of candy. Sometimes, I even use this idea to explain you need to have some water instead of milk to drink. You love milk right now.

But, there are times when you eat dinner, and then you ask, "Is my tummy not big?" I say back to you that your tummy is just right. But, then you ask, "is my tummy small?" and I try to answer back that your tummy is just right. But, you seem to want me to say that your tummy is small, so I tell you that your tummy is small, which it is. And, that is just right.

I really want you to make healthy choices about food so that you grow up big and strong and healthy! I don't care how big or small your tummy is. I'm really just trying to be a good mommy and teach you how to make good choices. I hope I'm getting it right with this big tummy/small tummy thing.

Lots of love,
Mommy

No comments: